Wooden floors are a perfect description of a rustic home. Nonetheless, it is still important to learn how to clean unfinished wood floors. By the way, did you also know that harsh chemicals are capable of staining your wooden floor? Yes, the chemicals will strip the hardwood’s natural grain, leaving it ugly. I’m sure this is something you don’t want to see on your unfinished wooden floor.
Also learn How To Clean An Area Rug On Hardwood Floor
On the other hand, using a lot of water will warp your boards. If this continues for a long time, your unfinished wooden floor will discolor. What will you do to ensure your unfinished wooden floor looks appealing? Is there a better way you can ensure your unfinished wooden floors remain tidy all the time?
This guide will take you through the various ways on how to clean unfinished wooden floors by discussing effective products to use on your wooden floor. Therefore, pull up that chair and let’s learn.
Cleaning your floor on a daily basis is a common routine to remove dirt and dust. Whether or not you are out all day, dust will always find its way inside. Failure of removing the dirt, it will stain and scratch unfinished wood floor.
To combat this damage, establish a regular cleaning routine. Hardwood vacuum cleaner is the best choice for a bare floor setting. It is the simplest way to remove dirt without damaging the wood.
Most homes use brooms to sweep the dust; however, they are not effective in cleaning unfinished wood floors. Instead, you can look for a static dust mop and if possible invest in a good soft-bristled broom.
Points To Note
- Listen to any scraping sounds while cleaning.
- Always use light strokes, pushing the dirt will scratch your floor.
- When moping, use liquids sparingly, excess liquids will soak the boards and stain the floor.
Some of The Effective Cleaners for Unfishined Wood Floors
1. A mixture of water and murphy’s oil
Make a solution by following these steps:
- Add 1 tablespoon of detergent to a half jar of warm water.
- Shake the solution well.
- Rinse your floor to prevent residue buildup.
- Use a clean cloth to hand-dry all section.
Vinegar is pocket-friendly and locally available. You will always find it in the supermarket next to you. The fact that vinegar is a natural product makes it the best option to use in your home.
However, it is acidic, which makes it potent if not diluted in water. Before you apply vinegar, sweep off the floor to remove dust. Mop your floor in the direction of the boards and remember to use long strokes.
Vinegar has an unpleasant smell; its fumes can easily empower you. To sort this problem you can choose to buy odorless vinegar or add a few drops of essential oil to the mixture before cleaning.
Ways Of Deep Cleaning Unfinished Wood Floors
Are there stubborn stains on your unfinished wooden floors? are you wondering how to remove all stains from unfinished wood floor? Then this will be helpful. Deep cleaning involves removing stains from a hardwood floor.
This can be done using chemicals such as Trisodium Phosphate and Mineral spirits. The chemicals will clean your floor effectively leaving it with a natural shine.
Trisodium Phosphate is a powder in crystal form that can be acquired easily from Amazon or a local hardware. For effective, use of this chemical, follow these quick steps:
- Work the chemical on the stain using a scrub brush.
- Rinse using warm water.
- Dry all the excess liquid using a piece of cloth; this will prevent permanent water damage.
- Use it on a clean floor that is free from dirt, dust and debris.
Mineral spirit, on the other hand, is a petroleum-based liquid used to remove paint from your floor and even brushes. It is considered effective in cleaning your floor since it does not cause any damage.
To use mineral spirit, rub it on the stained part of your hardwood floor with a soft pad. Finish your cleaning by rinsing excess liquids with a clean piece of cloth.
Remember to conduct a spot test before using any cleanser for your cleaning. Having learnt how to clean unfinished wood, let’s learn the effective ways of removing different stains.
How To Remove Water Stains From Unfinished Wood
Did you know that water stains could permanently damage your wood floor? Now you know. To avoid this we discuss a few methods to remove the water stains on your floor.
Tips Of Removing Fresh Water Stains
- Immediately place a soft cotton cloth on the area, a cloth will absorb the water without scratching the floor.
- Do not forget to carefully buff the floor with the wooden grain for effective results.
- Use a blow drier to dry any excess moisture, it is advisable use moderate heat to avoid destroying the boards.
- After clearing the stain, buff the area with an oil based furniture polish to give your wood a new look.PS
How To Remove Oil Stains From Unfinished Wood
One of the characteristics of natural wood is that it is porous. Because of its nature, it is easy for oil substances from cooking oil or oils from foods and vegetables such as meat to find its way on the surface thus leaving the floor with oil stains.
In case of an oil spill, follow these quick steps:
- Using an old newspaper, blot the oil stain as soon as you can.
- Mix a mild detergent inside a small/large bowl depending on the size of the affected area.
- Spread the suds over the affected area.
- Using a scrubbing brush, make sure you scrub vigorously on the affected parts.
- Use a soft cloth to dry the part until it is dry completely.
PS. Using a lot of water on the floor, including the parts without an oil spill will damage the unfinished wooden floor.
Tips On Removing Older Water Stains
Clearing older water stains has never been easy; you may need to try several ways to remove the stain completely.
Here are some of the ingenious ways of removing old water stains from your unfinished wooden floors:
- Use Mayonnaise – apply it on a piece of cloth and place on the stain. After sitting for an hour, wipe it with a cotton cloth.
- Watermark remover- read the instructions before use.
- Unsealed wood cleaner-apply it using a spray and clean them up with a wet cloth.
- Toothpaste – use a small amount of white toothpaste to remove the watermark.
- Petroleum jelly – after application, it should be left overnight on the stain. Also pairs well with cigarette ashes.
Cleaning Old Wood Floor
It is always advisable to use homemade remedies when cleaning unfinished wooden floors because they are cheap and effective. They are safer for the user and the environments.
Here are some of the homemade remedies that work better in cleaning an old unfinished wooden floor:
- Using diluted lemon juice – add lemon juice and olive oil to jar filled with warm water. Olive oil will make your floor shiny while the lemon juice will clean the dirt.
- Using vinegar and baking soda – mix baking soda and vinegar to make a paste, use the paste to remove dark spots.
- Using diluted vinegar – before use, consider adding vinegar to water to reduce its acidity.
Understanding how to clean unfinished wood floors in not complicated. As you’ve seen, different stains call for different methods. It is possible to sand down the beauty of the unfinished wood floor naturally by applying the different ways discussed herein. Now, it is time to act and make your unfinished wooden floor shine all day long. When tended, unfinished wood floors will offer natural elegance, making them the best choice for anyone seeking to create a charming environment.